4 Cops Arrested For Murder of Father-Son In Tamil Nadu | Chronicleplanet.com


Best Latest News Provider

4 Cops Arrested For Murder of Father-Son In Tamil Nadu

4 min read

4 Cops Arrested For Murder of Father-Son In Tamil Nadu

Four people were named in the FIRThe father-son duo was allegedly beaten up in the locker; the two died in the hospital later

DMK leader Kanimozhi, on Thursday, welcomed the arrest of sub-inspector Raghu Ganesh in the alleged custodial deaths of the father-son duo Jayaraj and Benicks at a Tamil Nadu police station, but called the move a ‘delayed action’. The Crime Branch of Criminal Investigation Department (CBCID) arrested a sub-inspector of police Ragu Ganesh after the Madurai Bench of Madras High Court directed the CBCID to take up the investigation.

“The CBCID (taking over the) murder case and the arrest of SI Raghu Ganesh in the murder of Jayaraj and Pennix are welcome,” Kanimozhi said in a tweet.

In another tweet, she further demanded that the police, the doctor and the magistrate, who were ‘complicit in the murder of the two’, should be arrested and appropriate action should be taken. On Wednesday, Kanimozhi attacked the state government and demanded that CM Palanisamy should recognize the situation and take appropriate action against the police concerned.

Inspector Sridhar, sub Inspectors Raghu Ganesh and Balakrishnan and constable Murugan have been arrested by the Crime Branch of Tamil Nadu’s CID (Criminal Investigation Department) under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

“FIRs have been altered to 302 IPC. 12 special teams under IG and SP (CB-CID) are investigating all angles,” Shankar, Inspector General (CB-CID) told NDTV.

The CB-CID has modified both FIRs – one each for the death of the father, Jeyaraj, and the son, Beniks – and to include murder charges against two sub inspectors (Raghu Ganesh and Balakrishnan), two constables and two other individuals.

The police had earlier only registered cases of suspicious deaths.

A head constable had complained that the duo was resisting arrested and was rolling on the floor. Police are also on the lookout for a constable allegedly involved in the matter. Four people were named in the FIR, and a nationwide outrage that was triggered by their deaths resulted in the suspension of five police officials.

The preliminary report of the autopsy had stated that the duo had suffered grievous injuries on their bodies before they died. The head constable in the Sathankulam police station had provided a statement to the judicial magistrate on June 28 that the duo were assaulted and tortured through the night on June 19 by the police in the station. The judicial magistrate, in his report, had mentioned that the police in the station behaved in an intimidating manner and were non-cooperative to the magisterial probe. The High Court took note and stated that there were prima facie grounds to register an FIR under Section 302 for murder, against the police officials.

The court had also expressed concern over the possibility of tampering of evidence in this case, given the hostile situation, and ordered a CBCID probe immediately.

On Wednesday, the CB-CID conducted inquiries with multiple persons involved in the case including the family of Jayaraj and Bennix, the doctor who examined them at the Sathankulam government hospital and the woman police official who had been witness to their assault at the Sathankulam police station.

The case is due for hearing before the Madras High Court on Thursday.

Help us provide quality journalism. Become a TNM member today! Click here.

Special SI Manimaran dies of COVID-19, second cop to succumb to coronavirus in TN
The 57-year-old SSI, R Manimaran was attached to the Foreshore Estate police station.

Police officers being given sanitisersIMAGE FOR REPRESENTATION
TNM StaffFollow thenewsminute

Tamil Nadu witnessed the death of a second police officer, a Special Sub Inspector of police (SSI), due to coronavirus on Wednesday. The 57-year-old SSI, R Manimaran was attached to the Foreshore Estate police station and was involved in the patrolling of a retired police officer’s house at Royapettah before contracting the infection.

Manimaran developed breathing difficulties on June 11 and was admitted to a government hospital. However, as his condition continued to deteriorate, he was later shifted to a private hospital in Chromepet. On June 14, his coronavirus test result came back positive and he was receiving treatment, as per reports.

On Monday, his condition further deteriorated and he succumbed to the virus two days later. Manimaran is survived by his wife and a son.

Manimaran joined service as a Special Sub Inspector in 1986. He served at the Pattinampakkam police station till August 2019. He was then transferred to the Foreshore Estate police station.

According to reports, over 1000 police personnel have tested positive for coronavirus in Chennai City police limit.

Manimaran is the second police officer to succumb to the infection in Tamil Nadu. Mambalam inspector Balamurali was the first victim of coronavirus in Chennai city police limit. Balamurali died of the virus on June 17. The 47-year-old police officer was receiving treatment at Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital and he succumbed to infection despite efforts of a special team that was monitoring his health.

As of Wednesday, Tamil Nadu has recorded 3,882 cases of coronavirus taking the total number of active cases in the state to 39,856. In Chennai, 2,182 patients have tested positive for the coronavirus. The total number of cases in the state is 94,049. The state reported 63 deaths including eight patients with no comorbidities on Wednesday.

Jeyaraj, 59, and his son Beniks, 31, were arrested on June 19 for keeping their mobile phone shop open 15 minutes longer than allowed during the lockdown. The police claimed the two fought, verbally abused and resisted arrest.

The family has alleged the two men were subjected to brutal torture while in police custody, pointing out severe internal and external wounds, including rectal bleeding, to back their claims.

Beniks was admitted to hospital at 7.45 PM on June 22. He died at around 9 PM, according to a timeline released by the police. His father was admitted around 10.30 PM the same night and died around 5.40 AM the following day.